NEWS

Downs Season “Fantastic” Says Coach

29/May/2017 19:44

Mamelodi Sundowns coach Pitso Mosimane has described his side’s season as “fantastic”, even though the Tshwane side ended the season in second spot on the final league standings.

Mosimane said that the Brazilians had won the “Grand Slams” of African football in the past season, referring to the Confederation of African Football  Champions League and the CAF Super Cup, this in a season of heavy traveling and being in transit for long periods.

” We played two years of soccer without a break, and participated in the Champions League four years in a row,” he said.

Mosimane was looking back at the past season.

“First I want to congratulate the boys for showing a positive attitude throughout. They put their bodies on the line for the team, and did everything to win because they know that Sundowns is an ambitious club that wants to win trophies and they know the theme,” added the coach.

“They really did exceptionally well.”

He also congratulated the Mamelodi Sundowns fans. “Let me also congratulate the yellow nation,” the coach said. “The mentality has changed”

He pointed out that in the past they would have thrown vuvuzelas when the team lost and be very angry.”

“Against Baroka, they supported the team throughout and sang even after the game had ended in a draw.

The coach went on to thank the Board of Mamelodi Sundowns and the President for “entrusting us with this responsibility. “They supported us throughout,  no stress and no pressure.”

He heaped praise on the technical team for the manner they managed the team when they had to play three games a week, and, once, four games in six days. “Manqoba (Mnqithi ) Rhulani Mokoena and them, they did a splendid job, including the work done by the goalkeeper coach.”

” We went two years in a row without a break. It was thanks to good  match management, and the work of the medical staff and Karabo.”

“We went to Japan and played in temperatures of minus four, and in a different time zone, and when we came back we had to play catch up with the rest of the teams in the league.”

He pointed out that while other teams had taken a break his team was still at it. On Friday, he said, his boys take on ES Tunis in another Champions League clash. “Other players could be playing golf or on the beach taking selfies,” he quipped.

“We know where we are going, and we are wiser for the experience from past campaigns. We need to win and get up to seven points. We are both on four points right now, and we need to take three points at home, but at a minimum we need to take at least four points from them, and as they still have to go to the DRC to play Vita, it will not be easy for them. The rest of the teams in the group will cancel each other out. We went to Kinshasha and played a team which had not lost in a Champions League match at home for 30 years and scored three goals.”

He praised Denis Onyango for wining the CAF African Player of the Year based on the continent Award, and Khama Billiat for coming second. Yannick Zakri had also been nominated, but had not joined Sundowns. “I was voted CAF coach of the Year, the club won Team of the Year, so what more could one ask for? We would be ungrateful to demand more, and might suggest we don’t cherish these achievements,” Mosimane said.

“Above all, we must be proud of our achievements. We won the Champions League and Super Cup, and gained valuable experience playing in the FIFA Club World Cup. We can’t win everything and our supporters have accepted this. It can’t be a bad season and they accompanied the team to various countries like Zambia, Zimbabwe and Japan. Life has been good for them”.

Asked about his vision for next season, Mosimane said that the club is currently still playing in the Champions League, and they would once more go for the Grand Slam titles.

Asked about his team’s prospects to regain the league title, he gave a conspiratorial smile and said:  “We will fetch the trophy. We know the address. It’s just off the highway.”

“You ask me next season whether we want to win the Champions League or Super Cup, the answer is yes.”

The coach said that he would definitely strengthen the team, as it was clear late in the season that some did not have the legs any more, but fought on, once more thanks to the technical and medical team’s match management. We know we can do be better, Mosimane said.

He once more congratulated Bidvest Wits and coach Gavin Hunt. “Wits have done well. I was rooting for Gavin Hunt for the Bafana Bafana coaching job, without being disrespectful to Stuart Baxter, he added.

Sundowns take on ES Tunis on Friday at the Lucas Moripe Stadium in Atteridgeville in their third Champions League fixture, having won one and drawn one.

25 Responses to Downs Season “Fantastic” Says Coach

1. Ncamisowaledowns says:

You have tried my team and please try even harder on CAF now otherwise we understand the challenges we are going for a third season without resting, it crazy hey

2. Evidence says:

When you reinforce do nt 4rget to promote Makgalwa, Modise & Mukumela. Sign Mekoa Coetzee, Dyantjie, Mvala, Obiozor. Plz plz plz

3. Leshata says:

We all saw the achievements. Well done coach and the team. We love you coach because you love and live mamelodi sundowns. Your work speak for itself. Ba mona ga yo šwa. People like robert marawa ,thomas mlambo and the rest of Kaiser chiefs fans. Kby wayawaya

4. John moruti says:

Pitso you are blessed coach in psl,live a quiet life bcos God want sundowns to conquer africa.focus on yo calling just few wise words.kenna Thabang Booi from sharpeville:0813594529

5. Ralph Harrington says:

Wise words that I agree with 100%. Fantastic season and a lesson well learned. We need depth. I love SUNDOWNS

6. sabby says:

Kennedy Mweene must partways amicably cause is useless sorry! To say I don’t like him I’m sabby,sabienho,sabby jersey number8. #kby

7. Peter Ngirwa says:

I have supported Sundowns since I was a young boy, never in my life have I witnessed a coach who loves and passionate about Sundowns like Pitso. I always love hearing from him. Fetch it Coach fetch it. it is over the highway. you got to love this one. we know the address. Good luck Pitso and the boys. Much Love Masandawana. On Saturday 03th of June is my Birthday, Surely I wouldnt mind jersey from the Club or Pitso. KBY KBY

8. glories are coming as long as we sign KHUNE, MVALA, BROKIE and MAHAMUTSA. Amen

9. mashasha says:

Well said my coach.You have worked hard guys throughout the season not easy to play so many games.

10. Simon. Clarens says:

You best coach of sundowns have because you big trophies not carling blacklabel and you showed that you love sundowns and pick up Mr PItso we sundowns we respected club because of hard work and Please look after you technical team and all sundowns family.

Regards
    Simon

11. Mzimela says:

Wonderfull job done but we need domestic trophes lets sweep board to prove to 15 psl teams we are king

12. Themba says:

Hope we are not going to be fed these nonsense of Itumeleng Khune, Rooi Mahamutsa and Jeremy Brockie just for once.

13. Bucks says:

Khune, Mamamutsa and Brockie are dead wood and wont contribute to the team. I hope the coach will buy wisely on the market. I am much delighted about the continental achievement BUT we could have also done better domestically. I hope that changes next season when we join highway to Braamfontein

14. Best coaches we hv ever had the MMM on the bench, Physical trainer Kabelo & his partners, Our team Doctors & Wendell on the keepers guys weldone, to our ever committed players guys you make my blood flow better. Pitso I understand your tears when we loose its all bcos of passion you hv for your baby Downs & lastly all the branches that came to the games this season a BIG THANK YOU YELLOW NATION , TRULY THE SKY IS THE LIMIT. FRM SAM Z MAHLASE

15. jebzi says:

Well said big up Coach as long as you know what was achieved and what we failed to accomplish, I pray that God will help you and your Technical team to make good decision when you strengthen a team and make you realize the importance of promoting youngsters as well .Good luck on our new chapter lets give our all , we shall prosper
    We are family , we always behind you and the team
    sky is the limit

16. Petunia says:

it doesn’t get better than this, well done to Pitso, Manqoba, Rhulani and the rest of the technical team. You guys gave your all and we are behind you 120% the players gave their all considering everyone is on a break and they still playing, I guess that’s what being a champion is all about. I will be there next Friday at the stadium to support you all the way, as the coach said we know where our trophy went we will fetch it

17. sibusiso mthendeni says:

#Sundowns_Supporters_Rock!
    Yellow Masandawana, I hope everyone is doing ohk.
    On behalf of Daveyton branch and its Executive: I really appreciate the support we got on the weekend when we were saying R.I.P MR Boshego (former Chairperson of Sundowns Daveyton branch) thank you Gauteng South branches.
    Highlands Park 2-2 Sundowns.
    Great performance by the team, but I believe this team needs a very serious rest. Badiniwe abafana mahn tjo. We qualified for Champions League again! Jah neh.
    02 June 2017, Champions League: Sundowns vs E.ST 20:00.
    Daveyton branch will depart from Sinaba Stadium 17:30, contact Sibusiso on 073 656 7001 / 074 5736750

18. Skhumbuzo Sibande says:

I think the challenge that we have currently in the squad is the lack of numbers. But this was created deliberately by the coach and his technically staff. I have mentioned this comparison before, look at teams (Aly Ahly, TP Mazembe etc) that have dominated continental competitions, you will realise that they register more than 30 players per season. As we speak Aly Ahly are the champions of Egypt and they are doing well even in CAF Champions league. Their domestic season run the same as ours. It is only good planning and good selection (rotation) of players that can keep us going other than the excuses that are being put forward by the coach. We need a big squad! But who decided to cut the squad? It is the coach! Les hope he learnt his lessons. Aly Ahly dominates both the domestic and the international arena. I am still in limbo as to how we failed to win the league title. I still do not believe that the squad was exhausted. Certain players we tired but the coach made a mistake by hanging on to those players instead of bringing fresher players. Even if you look at Wits, Mango did not play most of the last games of the league, not that he lost form but he was tired. We still wanted Tau, Billiat and Kekana to perform miracles even though one could see that these players were exhausted. Good luck to the team next year. I hope the coach learnt his lessons.

19. kick boboza says:

Well done to everyone and thank you very much.I know the coach will sweep domestic trophies.Percy can be a top goal scorer and score more than 25 goals if he practices scoring goals.

20. Mfana says:

Skhumbuzo Sbande CAF only allows 30 players to be registered for the whole year from January to December.Why wud Sundowns register 30 players in January then we lose those players through transfers,injuries. Tell us how r we going to register,Coetzee,Mekoa,Brockie etc if we limit our options&sòme players don’t renew their contracts like Ramahlwe did last year.U also forget that Nascimento,Mabunda,Onyango,Arendse,Kekana,Soumahoro,Billiat,Vilakazi Mashaba,Castro the backbone of the team were injured&some of them still are injured.U r mentioning Ahl Ahly as if they performed better than us. Tell us did they play more catch-up games mo than us?Were they participating in Fifa Club W Cup,do they have more domestic competitions than our league?Of which I doubt that there’s a country with mo domestic competitions than us in South Africa.Did Ahly play in the Super Cup?Sundowns have a sound technical team now they need a sound support from us supporters.

21. Geel kabuyelo says:

I agree with you coach this was a fantastic year us as the yellow nation

22. Makhura says:

Makgalwa, Mekoa, Mahlambi (MMM) Shozi, Brockie and Coetze. We will meet Barcelona in the world cup

23. INSIMBI.ZN says:

The season would’ve been more fantastic than you thought Mr Pitso I’m confused why Leonard Castro
    Was dropped when we needed him the most but you know very well you always be with them you knew what was the problem but as supporters we would like to know next time

24. Skhumbuzo Sibande says:

Mfana: I do support the team a lot bra! What I said about Al Ahly is a very researched information. By more than 30 players I meant the whole squad for all possible competitions. Players will always move around. That is not particular to Sundowns by any means. My argument is that Al Ahly is always present in the CAF competitions because they dominate the Egyptian League. So this is possible with Sundowns. The fact that we won the Champions league trophy is not an excuse as to why we did not win anything in the domestic front. We were really beaten by one team, that is, Wits. Our coach refuses to accept that. He thinks Wits ambushed him because of the more games Sundowns played in the CAF campaigns. I’m saying no to that excuse. We could have won the league and MTN, its just that Wits were smarter than us at least for this season. I was just comparing us with Al Ahly and TP Mazembe because they are forever competing in the CAF competitions yet they always dominate the domestic scene as well. We can do that as well. It comes with proper planning. The Egyptian league has got 18 teams and other cup competitions as well. Otherwise in reality, Aly Ahly play more games than Sundowns per season. We need to win on Friday against Esperance. No more excuses. The Sky is the limit

25. Shingirayi Zimunya says:

We are extremely proud of the technical team, the boys , all the supporters and all the journalists who abuse their platforms by painting our Coach as being arrogant and by minimizing our achievements as a team. We will come back stronger next season and we will make sure that haters have something to say once more. Right now we need to promote players and buy some so we have 3 competitive squads. Please sell players we don’t need anymore and those who don’t want to be with us. Our main players such as Khama Billiat, Percy Tau, Hlompho Kekana, Tebogo Langerman, Thapelo Morena, Dennis Onyango, Themba Zwane and Tiyane Mabunda need some rest, let’s rotate cleverly. We shall overcome!!!