NEWS

It Was A Team Victory Says Laffor

19/Mar/2017 11:04

Mamelodi Sundowns had to progress in the CAF Champions League, and the players gave it everything, Super sub Anthony Laffor said after scoring the all important goal that saw the African Champions through to the next round of the competition against Kampala Capital City Authority in the Uganda capital to draw 1-1 and win 3-2 on aggregate.

The home side had scored a goal which would have given them the edge, but it was Sundowns they were playing against.

“Scoring that goal was not about me. It was all about the team. We fought as a team, and won as a team,” Laffor said.

“We knew it was going to be tough, particularly after they scored. But being African Champions and failing to progress was not an option for us. We fought and looked for that one chance, and we scored,” he said.

Laffor said that the coach only asked him if he was ready for battle, and he said he was and the coach sent him on for Anele Ngconca.

“The other guys like (Yannick) Zakri, Percy (Tau) and Mshishi (Themba Zwane) were playing well and scoring was inevitable. We just needed to keep our composure. In the end we got what we wanted.”

The lanky Liberian had buckets of praise for Tau.

“Before the game I told him that he will score, but if he does not, he should not get frustrated.

“As a young South African Percy has shown amazing character. He has shown hunger to do well, and he’s only 19 or twenty, but he works hard for the team. I take my hat off for him and only hope he stays humble,” he said.

Tau also had praise for Laffor.

“He is a big player. Big players play well in big games, seize the moment and score,” Tau said of his team mate.

“We fought hard as a team, and we knew that if we played our football we will score. We knew we would get at least one. We are, after all African champions, and just needed to believe in ourself.”

“When they scored, we knew it was going to be even harder, but we kept to our game plan, played football, and the goal came.”

Tau said he was inspired by the shouts of “Percy” from local fans as they took the field.

“When Ugandan fans shouted my name I felt humbled.”

A 10 year old fan wanted to meet and shake Tau’s hand, and the player they have named “Sledge” presented him with a jersey.

“I am inspired by these young fans, and feel honoured that I have inspired somebody. This youngster wants to play soccer in South Africa and play alongside me. I hope he does well,” said Tau.

On the sidelines, Sundowns decorated goal keeper Denis Onyango received another honour from his country whey he was named Uganda Tourism Ambassador of the Year to add to his African Player of the Year based in the continent, and South African goalkeeper of the year and the Uganda Player of the Year awards.

12 Responses to It Was A Team Victory Says Laffor

1. Evidence says:

Team work is the way 2 go

2. Rhuucoster says:

We r proud of u Guys jst b humble n keep working hard for one another. #Wearemamelodisundowns

3. Petunia says:

going to the games and watching the type of football you play, makes me very happy as a sundowns fan the way you play and fight for each other, your connection and the ability to know now it’s time to notch up another gear, it makes me very proud to be a sandawana fan and the money going to the stadium as money very well spend

4. It makes me sad and at the same time happy when Downs was loosing the ball boys did not do the job properly and when KBY scored they were busy to bring in ball very fast in the field. This is Cheating not fair play

5. Tumisang Bale says:

I’m equally humbled for this moment. I wish we can get more updation on the team.

Stop being lazy admin.

6. Dalom says:

Holla Snoti. I saw your goal on twitter, what a great goal it was. Our neighbours, CAPS United from Zimbabwe have also just dumped out TP_Mazembe on away goal rule. Zanaco has also progressed to the group stages. Www

7. mandla says:

Eish now we going to prepare for Chiefs clash,,but in my boys I believe,,,well done Sandilands,Ngcongca,Nascimento,Bangaly(Arendse injured),Langerman,Mabunda,Kekana,Tau,Zwane,Zakri,Laffor

8. Lindani Mkhwanazi says:

I wish Zakri can score some goals so that his confidence level can pick up then we know we got another Khama on board.

• collen says:

It’s bit difficult when you are a new player in the team, the expectations are always high thereby putting unnecessay pressure to the player. He will score member, we need to keep supporting and encouraging him. He has already shown glimpses of being a top player, maybe language is also a factor at the moment but like you said, once he scores his first goal, there would not be any turning back!!!!!

9. sibusiso mthendeni says:

Long Live #Masandawana long live! Long live #Sir_Pitso long live!
    KCC 2-3 Sundowns, Champions League.
    Sundowns are through to group stages, thank you Masandawana.

Sir Pitso Mosimane’s contribution at Sundowns so far:
    1. 10 000 000 for Absa Premiership 2013/14
    2. 7 000 000 for Nedbank Cup 2014/15
    3. 4 000 000 for Telkom Knockout 2015/2016
    4. 10 000 000 for Absa Premiership 2015/16
    5. 21 000 000 for CAF Champions League 2016
    6. 13 000 000 for FIFA Club World Cup 2016
    7. 1 300 000 for Super Cup 2017
    8. 700 000 from Minister
    9. Golden Star
    10. Absa Premiership + MTN8 runners up amount
    Total = R67 000 000
    Thank you Mr Pitso Mosimane.
    01 Apri 2017l: Kampala Kaizer Chiefs vs Sundowns, league game 20:15

Sundowns Daveyton branch has organised transport for this game. Etwatwa, Barcelona, Mayfield, Cloverdene, Kingsway, Daveyton and Crystal Park please contact Sibusiso on 073 656 7001 / 074573 6750 or Khutlo on 073 025 1521

10. Dumza123 says:

Well done Masandawana really true Champions.

11. Mxolisi says:

Masandawana our team is doing a good job if the payers can master the team work and make it a priority, the sky will be the limit indeed.