NEWS

Sundowns Promote Makgalwa and Mukumela

30/Aug/2017 18:47

The pair from Limpopo, Keletso Makgalwa and Thendo Mukumela, have represented South Africa at junior level. They’ve already started training with the first team of the African champions. Mukumela was handed jersey No. 34 and Makgalwa will don No. 35.

Makgalwa (20), from Mokopane, joins the first team after a brilliant season with the MultiChoice Diski Challenge side that he inspired to winning the trophy that had eluded the Brazilians. For his efforts, Makgalwa walked away with the tournament’s Player of the Season award.

“I am happy that I have been promoted to the first team because supporters used to call me almost every day and send me messages, asking when is coach Pitso Mosimane promoting you to the first team,” Makgalwa said. “Those people are looking forward to seeing me in the first team. This season will be about learning for me. But if I get a chance I will grab it with both hands.”

The confident midfielder – with a brilliant first touch, speed and skills to take on defenders – is excited to be learning from some of the best players in the country.

“It’s a huge motivation to play alongside players like Khama Billiat, George Lebese, Percy Tau, Oupa Manyisa and others. I want to be at their level too one day which is why I am prepared to work hard,” Makgalwa said.

Mukumela (19) joins the first team with two World Cup appearances under his belt, with the national Under-17 team in Chile and national Under-20 team in South Korea. He also represented the senior national team in the African Nations Championship (Chan) qualifiers and the Cosafa Cup.

“Playing for the first team is a dream come true,” Mukumela said. “I am excited about this opportunity. Everything has been good. The tempo is high. Obviously graduating to the first team is a huge leap but I am prepared to work hard to settle into the team. I am ready to be in the starting line-up and I am ready to show the world what is it that I can do.”

The lanky defender who stands at almost 2m is versatile, able to play in central midfield, centreback, rightback and even has a knack for scoring goals.

“I have played in various positions from a young age,” Mukumela said. “Surprisingly, I do well in almost all of them. I can play at rightback. When I joined the national Under-17 team I played in central midfield and they converted me to centreback. When I arrived at Sundowns in 2015, I started out as a striker. We went to Kay Motsepe Cup and I scored 11 goals in six games. I am waiting for the coach to tell me where he wants me to play and I will master that position.”

These two youngsters will be looking to follow in the footsteps of Percy Tau and Motjeka Madisha who went from playing for the reserve team to winning the CAF Champions League.

38 Responses to Sundowns Promote Makgalwa and Mukumela

1. Dinha says:

Great work by the Yellow Nation!

2. mashasha says:

Well done to management for promoting our own.Congratulations guys and just continue working hard.

3. kulakk says:

Gudluck boys, I ‘ve been waiting for this day . Hope Malebogo Modise ”ll follow in ur footsteps, in Future … Kby

4. Njabulo Mnyandu says:

Congraaaa to the young stars,wish all da best and keep working hard

5. Makhosonke says:

well done Mr Pitso for a brilliant mind,real it shows that you think for future.. and it shows that you not to eat Motsepes money by signing useless players

6. msojaer says:

Thanx Mr Mosimane for your vision,as for scouting talents your a master
    To the younger guys WELCOME TO THE CHAMPIONS OF AFRICA & GOOD LUCK

7. MAJALIDI says:

Dankie kby thts wht we need

8. Dion says:

Welcome to the home of Champions with open arms and I hope Pitso won’t put you Guys on the grandstand and loan you out at the end. KBY forever

9. That’s what I m tking about!! Our own never disappoint . Look at TAUdiarora , Madisha etc woooooozaaaahhh victory !!!

10. Makhosonke says:

yes we need to make our own Khama,cause the current is playing us and I don’t know why can’t let him go finish and klaar.this is a team and this was there before Khama born and it will be here after Khama leave. how many cups and league we won before Khama.let him go if he want to.Amen

11. Ralph Harrington says:

Well done to the development team. KBY forever

12. Dalom says:

Good luck boyz. Please don’t disappoint us as we’be been begging the technical team to give you a chance. Makgalwa must work on his waistline/tummy, that’s not a tummy for a footballer.

I’m also very much impressed with the building in the background of our headquarters. They’ve been busy renovating indeed. Well done Pres Motsepe.

13. xman says:

Welcome Boyz to the world of booing take it easy is part of the game we have a winning mentality at kabuyelo, going to khama we must release him if his heart is over the fence we aren’t a one man s team we are used to pig headed players like Jose,Rama,Raphael, Phil,the list is endless

14. Downs says:

These are proper news.

15. Themba says:

Good news. We just have to wait and see.Knowing our coach we might see Magalwa being converted into a central defender and Mukumela to a right back

16. Maja says:

All the best young fellas, work hard and The Sky will be the Limit.

17. mandla weSundowns says:

This is owesome. We glad seeing our best younger players graduating to the first team . Please coach lets give them a chance introduce them early especially when we winning by better margin, not like in the past where used to introduce Mashego when winning 4 nil instead of introducing Julies, Tau and others. Kaboyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellow

18. Mfana says:

Thisis what I always stress&emphasise that the technical team must hav a firm belief in these youngsters.We welcome u boys to the senior team&the coaches must throw u 2 the deepend,instead of always chasing the less quality from other teams.I wish that the technical team should put u in ur rightful positions so that we get the best out of u.There is really no use of alwayz complaining that teams r not willing to sell their assets whereas we r having resources at Chloorkop.In our younsters I hav a great hope that we will reach our greatest heights in SA football&Africa.If u believe&I believe then Sundowns will b GREAT.Grow Brazilians grow&with these youngsters we dont need ooMahlambi no Brockie kwi Sundowns.

19. collen says:

Good job by the technical team. Let’s introduce them gradually like what Zidane is doing to young Asensio!!! Shozi and Mkhulise must follow suit. Welcome to the home of champions boys and remember hard work always pays off. Do not expect berth on a silver platter, work your socks off, learn as much as you can and most importantly listen to your coaches. Lastly, please be wise to invest a portion of your salaries because football is a very short and unpredictable career. To Coach Pitso well done once again. KBY

20. Kagiso Jafta says:

Welcome to the real deal boys, you are our kids pls wear the senior jersey with pride. The fruits of Downs’ development are ripening bit by bit. Keep working hard bafana ba style ba banyane. Play well and make sure by age 25 you wont be called youngsters according to Sundowns standards.
    Coach Pitso knows why he promoted you so grab the opportunity.

21. kick boboza says:

Grab the opportunity boys and stay on the first team.Welcome.wish more of promoting our own.can the development produce a defender like ntsimbi Sangweni.

22. ayanda says:

Well done to Coach for believing in these boys, I must admit I like the confidence in Thendo and he will go places.

23. Jaws Buda says:

Good move by the technical team and all the best for the boys.KBY

24. Bucks says:

This is what we want. Teams like Ajax are always giving their development chances. That is why they are see as the most developing team BUT we have enough to surpass them

25. steve says:

Pitso must use Thendo as a striker to score goals.

26. Da Prof says:

thats good!Good stuff indeed!Please dont buy anybody tonight.We are ok and ready to fight for titles!

27. Gud move coach especially with Makgalwa…I have been following him and hoped he would be promoted in the previous seasons already.

28. dion says:

Hi Masandawana I’ve read on soccerladuma today that we bought Rivaldo Cortzee is that is that true?

29. Sledge says:

It’s true, Rivaldo Coetzee has joined the Yellow Nation to partner Motjeka Madisha in centre back. He has to be operated in his foot and be rehabilitated. Young strong partnership in our central defence

30. Sledge says:

Well done to our Management and Technical staff for promoting our young stars. Pliz Coach Pitso and Manqoba give them a chance, they are still very hungry to perform well

31. Kurra says:

This is good for our young stars.

32. FINALLY THE JUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE THE BOYS A PROMOTED TO THE FIRST TEAM THANK YOU PITSO & MANQOBA FOR GIVING THE BOYS A CHANCE AND WE ALSO WELCOME RIVALDO COTZEE TO THE YELLOW NATION, TRULY THE SKY IS THE LIMIT. FROM SAM Z MAHLASE SPRINGS BRANCH

33. Senzwa says:

This is great news from our team. I am more excited by this than the signing of George and Oupa. This gives hope to other young players in our development that there is a future for them at Downs. Knowing Pitso you will both get your chances as he is not afraid to throw young players into the deep end. Grab your chance when it comes boys. All the best!

34. Jackie Thandikaya Koti says:

in my opinion the team is good now but only two players that we can go for is Jeremy Brockie and Aubrey Ngoma

35. DOWNS 4 EVA says:

Good news we have been waiting for this for ages now we must promote Sebanyoni than waisting time chasing an old Brockie,we need to think long term.We must pull all stops and axhust all available avenues to get Mahlambi,it is too good to see our team sign young players like Rivaldo.Finally we must cease from forcing players for us,we must Billiat and Castro go they are not indespansible,we are a big team.

36. X man says:

This team is complete now am very very happy all what they need to do is to work harder for each other

37. loyiso says:

KBY all the way …

Lets go and fetch that Cup from the Students.